We’ve teamed up with our mates at Volcano Coffee Works to show you how to make the ultimate festive cocktail at home. Inspired by a buttered rum cocktail – it’s rich, smooth and totally delicious. The perfect alternative to Mum’s mulled wine and the best addition to your cozy nights in this winter.
Recipe – serves 1
25ml Mr Black Coffee Liqueur
20ml Dark Rum
15ml Spiced Syrup* (or liquid sweetener)
100ml Hot Volcano Filter Coffee (or one Volcano Pod topped up with hot water)
5g Salted Butter
- Pour some hot water into your heat proof serving cup to preheat.
- Add Mr Black Coffee Liqueur, rum, syrup and salted butter to a saucepan over low heat. Warm through but do not boil.
- Whilst this are warming, brew your fresh filter coffee or pod.
- When the coffee is ready, remove the mixture from the heat. Add the coffee.
- Using a hand blender, blend until combined and slightly frothy.
- Empty the water from your cup and pour the drink in.
- Top with freshly grated nutmeg.
Serve in an enamel cup or heat proof glassware.
125g Granulated Sugar
1 Cinnamon Stick
6 Allspice Berries
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and place on a medium heat.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often as it warms to dissolve the sugar
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Turn off the heat and allow the syrup to cool.
- Strain the syrup. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe by roaster and cocktail expert Claire Wallace